Thursday, August 2, 2018

My summer with AKIRA

Hey...remember me?

    You know, the girl who always blogs and then dramatically goes MIA for a long period of time and then pops up out of nowhere? Yep that's me! I do it for the drama what can I say, now back to business. This summer I had the privledge to intern with an amazing boutique called AKIRA. In my internship I was a visual merchandiser and I did a bit of personal styling here and there. Those who don't know about AKIRA, here is a little overview. AKIRA is a women's clothing boutique based in Chicago, it opened in 2002 (July 7th, 2002 to be exact) with one location and it has increased to 27. AKIRA has multiple locations in Chicago, Missouri, Wisconsin, Indianapolis, and so on. This contemporary boutique is owned by Eric Huesh, Erikka Wang, Jon Cotay all of which met as students at the University of Illinois as well as Gordon Liao and Sarah Hughes. AKIRA is not like any other cookie cutter boutique with the basic on trend looks, it sells their own line of women's clothing, foot wear, and accessories as well as popular brands like Adidas, Champion, Levi, and so on.


    The store's image represents a confident woman who is not afraid to try different styles and stand out. The woman that walks through a crowd and has everyone's eyes on her. She is an AKIRA girl...not trying to sound cheesy. Any woman can shop at AKIRA no matter what style, age, or demographic. They sell many versatile items for any occasion, and even if you are not shopping for anything in particular I guarantee you will fall in love with an item within seconds. If I could describe AKIRA in one word it would be ambitious, they're styles give off an edge that most retailers do not. If I walk into a Forever 21 I would find something to buy don't get me wrong, but to me their clothes are like the radio, too on trend and cookie cutter. AKIRA has on trend styles but they are always one step ahead of the game. I could blab on about AKIRA for days but now back to my internship.




    I want to make this short and sweet and just give the run down of what I did and my experience because I could easily tell you what I did on the daily. Coming into this internship I had little to no retail background per se, shocking I know since I am a fashion major, so I was nervous. My first week consisted of me learning the basics, learning promos, hanging things correctly, how to navigate each section of clothing, using a cash register, and how to merchandise effectively. I had a few ups and downs at first because there was a lot to learn, but I expected that. Within the next few weeks I was getting more of the hang of things and learned more about visual merchandising and styling. It was interesting getting to learn that it is not always just choosing cute clothes or making things look pretty, there is a science to it almost. My greatest experience at AKIRA was getting to design the mannequins throughout the store floor and being the person who got to decide where I wanted things to go. Being a leader was never one of my strengths, but AKIRA made me feel more confident in my work. I am still finishing up my internship and I look forward to going to work everyday (no AKIRA did not put me up to write this) My co-workers are amazing, they make working amazing and I feel a sense of accomplishment knowing I intern for a great company.

    After my internship with AKIRA is over, I am not 100% sure what my next step is but I know more of what I want to do in terms of fashion. Interning at AKIRA I was able to learn more about what path I see myself going in, what my strengths and weaknesses are, and what kind of person I am. I was able to step out of my comfort zone and become more confident in who I am and where I want to go. Thank you to AKIRA and to my managers who have helped me greatly.


    If you have not heard of AKIRA but want to know more, come check out their website (www.shopakira.com) and if you want to come in the store and see for yourself, check out the store locator tab on the website and find the location nearest to you.
    Here are some of my favorite in stock pieces from AKIRA
 
Five More Hours Fringe Mini Dress
The Zone Im In Denim Pant
Farmer's Daughter Ruffle Dress
Aren't You Glad To Meet Me Floral Wedge Sandals
Wait For It Tassel Bag
In My Sights Printed Sequin T Shirt Dress
Levi's Graphic Ex-Boyfriend Tee
Lane To Lane Crop Top
Space Raider Zip Crop Top
My Way Half Checkered Denim Jacket






 
Until next time,




"It started out as a hobby, then over time it became more of a passion, and to this day we breathe and live retail"- Jon Cotay


XOXOXO


2 comments:

  1. ทดลอง เล่น สล็อต PG SLOT ทดลองเล่นฟรีไม่ต้องสมัครก็สามารถเล่นได้ไม่จำกัดวงเงินปั่นรัวๆได้ กับเว็บ สล็อตออนไลน์ PG-SLOT.GAME ที่นำเกมสล็อตจากค่าย PG SLOT มารวมไว้ในที่เดียว

    ReplyDelete
  2. เกมส์สล็อต PGslot ที่สนุก เป็นระบบการเล่นสล็อตออนไลน์ที่ให้ผู้เล่นได้บริการกันทั่วโลก รวมทั้งเกมสล็อตที่มีระบบอัตโนมัติที่กำหนดความสนุกของแต่ละผู้เล่นใหม่ๆ เว็บของเรา pg slot

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts!